Sunday, February 27, 2011

Giotto, Da Vinci, and St. Anthony

Thursday I took my second trip to Florence this year to visit the Uffizi gallery. And of course I saw all sorts of amazing beautiful artwork from Giotto, Botticelli, Da Vinci, Raffaello, and Rembrandt. My favorite was Da Vinci's Adoration of the Magi. It was absolutely inspiring seeing all this work by some of the masters in art history and architecture. 
Saturday I took another day trip this week, but this time for my Art History course, to Padova to see the Capella di Scrovegni where Giotto filled the walls with frescos telling the complete story of the life of Jesus. The chapel miraculously still stands and the 14th century artwork is still breathtaking. 

I also visited the Basilica of St. Anthony where I was able to stay for part of mass, and saw St. Anthony's tomb. And right before leaving the quaint town, we made sure to get a  spritz which apparently Padova is known for. 

1 comment:

  1. britta, is it difficult to process the depth of the history in florence? you have certainly sparked our interest to visit florence. when do you return to the states and when do you return to italy? love you, shar

    ReplyDelete