Sunday, March 20, 2011

A Weekend in March Part I

NAPOLI
Bright and early Thursday Meghan, Kylie and I headed on down to Napoli. We started the day trip out right by getting the infamous vera pizza napoletana (it's better than Punch's).
Afterward we wondered around the historical center. It's hard to describe the atmosphere of Napoli, but I would say it is a rustic Barcelona. It seems very artsy and heavily influenced by underground culture but also stark honest with a somewhat "dirty" look. March 17th being the 150th year celebration of Italy's unification there was a lot of Italian pride- flags, music, posters, confetti...
We also made sure to stop at Scaturchio in Piazza San Domenico and get delicious Neapolitan pastries- a Zeppole and a 
Sfogliatelle. 
 Unfortunately we only had one day and saw only a small fraction of the city. It is Napoli so there is garbage on the streets, but I was surprised at the cleanliness- I thought it would be worse. I am definitely hoping to return very soon and stay a lot longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment